WATER MANAGEMENT PLATFORM
Presidency: Germany & Italy
Water is one of the 12 main issues listed within the Alpine Convention in Article 2. However, this specific issue has not yet been covered by a specific protocol. The objective of the Alpine Convention concerning water management is to preserve or re-establish healthy water systems, in particular by keeping lakes and rivers free of pollution, by applying natural hydraulic engineering techniques and by using water power in such way so that the interests of both the indigenous population and the environment are served alike.
The Alpine Convention instituted a platform on water issues at the X. Alpine Conference
in 2009 after the adoption of the second Report on the State of the Alps on „Water and Water Management Issues“
. The Platform follows the objectives and recommendations identified in this report. In addition the Action Plan on Climate Change in the Alps
, adopted at the X. Alpine Conference, contains several issues related to water management, such as, for example, to reinforce implementation of the EU Water Framework Directive, to prevent water shortages and to develop plants according to the ecology of water courses. More specifically the Action Plan requires prompt and collective action from all Contracting Parties of the Alpine Convention to limit the impact of climate change, particularly by developing guidelines for the construction, optimisation and rehabilitation of small hydroelectric power stations while respecting aquatic environments and biodiversity. In the Multiannual Work Program
water issues are mentioned in the general aims of the Program and included in the climate change part of the Five Areas of Priority Action.
In 2015-2016 two topics will be addressed: fluvial geomorphology and the interactions with sediment transport and the interconnections between the Water Framework Directive and the Flood Directive. Special attention will be paid to the cross-cutting issues of communicating with local authorities, scientists, technicians and population. Data availability will be addressed. Several public event and workshops will be organized on the chosen topics.
The Contracting Parties to the Alpine Convention delegated experts to be members of the Working group/Platform. Observers to the Convention may also nominate representatives for the Working groups/Platforms.
List of members
The main objectives of the Water management Platform are:
Activities, Documents, Results of the Water Platform
- communications and raising awareness on the water management issues in the Alps;
- serve as a network of experts;
- spread the common understanding on issues related to climate change and natural hazards;
- presentation of best practices and strategies for the adaptation to climate change and water management;
- close cooperation with partners and other working groups.
- Workshop on “Fluvial geomorphology and the interactions with sediment transport”, as a side event of the I.S. Rivers International Conference, 22 June 2015
- The second platform-meeting together with the Workshop on the “Dialogue between the Water Framework Directive and the Flood Directive” will take place from the 17th -18th September 2015 in Munich and will be organized by Italy and Germany. An excursion to an interesting project will be part of the event.