WATER MANAGEMENT PLATFORM
Water is one of the 12 main issues listed within the Alpine Convention in Article 2. However, this specific issue has not yet been covered by a specific protocol. The objective of the Alpine Convention concerning water management is to preserve or re-establish healthy water systems, in particular by keeping lakes and rivers free of pollution, by applying natural hydraulic engineering techniques and by using water power in such way so that the interests of both the indigenous population and the environment are served alike.
1. What is the Water Management Platform?
The Alpine Convention instituted a platform on water issues at the X. Alpine Conference
in 2009 after the adoption of the second Report on the State of the Alps on „Water and Water Management Issues“
. The Platform follows the objectives and recommendations identified in this report. In addition the Action Plan on Climate Change in the Alps
, adopted at the X. Alpine Conference, contains several issues related to water management, such as, for example, to reinforce implementation of the EU Water Framework Directive, to prevent water shortages and to develop plants according to the ecology of water courses. More specifically the Action Plan requires prompt and collective action from all Contracting Parties of the Alpine Convention to limit the impact of climate change, particularly by developing guidelines for the construction, optimisation and rehabilitation of small hydroelectric power stations while respecting aquatic environments and biodiversity. In the Multiannual Work Program
water issues are mentioned in the general aims of the Program and included in the climate change part of the Five Areas of Priority Action.
In the years 2013-2014 the Platform continues to act as a network of experts in order to organize tree workshops on specific, challenging water management aspects concerning all alpine countries. The aim the of workshops is bringing together administrations, practitioners and stakeholders to discuss topics of:
- Local adaptation plans to climate change for water management: experiences and strategies in place;
- Prevention of hydrological risks in the alpine area: the flood risk and the EU Directive 2007/60;
- River management and geological processes.
Members of the Platform are delegations of the parties of the Alpine Convention and the official Observers
of the Alpine Convention.
List of members
The main objectives of the Water management Platform are:
3. Activities, Documents, Results of the Water Platform
- communications and raising awareness on the water management issues in the Alps;
- serve as a network of experts;
- spread the common understanding on issues related to climate change and natural hazards;
- presentation of best practices and strategies for the adaptation to climate change and water management;
- close cooperation with partners and other working groups.
4. Links and Additional Information
- Institutions of the Contracting Parties:
- European Union: Water Issues
- Additional information: